Information about training programme
- Title of training: Training program in non-marine diatoms from the (sub-) Antarctic Region
- Description of project: Non-marine diatoms are one of the most abundant algal groups in the (sub-)Antarctic Region both in number of individuals as in number of species. Due to mis-identifications and force-fitting, the actual number of species is rather limited and still composed on only cosmopolitan species, resulting in a bad knowledge of the biogeography of this important group. The past few years, there has been a growing interest that resulted in the description and/or correct identification of a large number of new species, typical for the region. Biogeographical results using this refined taxonomy show a much more transparant separation of the different parts of the (sub-)Antarctic region.
- Duration of training: 1 week
Type of training
- Preparation techniques for both light- and scanning electron microscopy
- Identification of important non-marine diatom groups using LM and SEM techniques
- Morphology and biogeography of the genera Muelleria, Stauroneis and Luticola
- Biogeography of non-marine diatoms in the sub-Antarctic region
Contact information of mentor / supervisor
- Name of mentor / supervisor: Dr. Bart Van de Vijver
- Institution / Organisation: National Botanic Garden of Belgium
- EDIT partner number: 15
- Unit / Department / Laboratory: Department of Bryophyta & Thallophyta
- Address: Domein van Bouchout // B-1860 Meise // Belgium
Target audience: MSc students, PhD students and young post-docs lacking the necessary training in diatoms.